Thursday, September 3, 2009

Dead Neighbors (pre-Lowlife)

Full Discography here. I prefer the 2nd, myself. Here's some info taken from Lowlife's wiki page:
Dead Neighbours was an early-1980s psychobilly band from Grangemouth, Scotland, originally consisting of Craig Lorentson (vocals), David Steel (bass), Ronnie Buchanan (guitar) , and Grant McDowall (drums). The band was managed by Brian Guthrie, brother of Robin Guthrie of Cocteau Twins, and had recorded an album, Harmony in Hell (1982), that briefly hit the lower regions of the UK independent record charts.
In 1983, Steel left the Dead Neighbours in the middle of recording the band’s second album, Strangedays/Strangeways. Upon learning that Cocteau Twins founding member and bassist Will Heggie had recently departed that band (after a lengthy and reportedly difficult European tour), Guthrie asked Heggie to help Dead Neighbours out in finishing the album’s recording, and join them on a tour opening for Johnny Thunders. Heggie agreed and, after the album was completed and the tour was done, he stayed on and began rehearsing new material with the band. Guthrie noticed that with Heggie, the entire chemistry of the group suddenly changed and they began forging a completely new, atmospheric sound very different from their original Cramps-influenced beginnings. Apparently unhappy with the direction they were clearly aiming for, Buchanan abruptly departed the band. A new guitarist was brought in, Stuart Everest, who adapted quickly to the band’s updated vision. In 1984, the group retired the Dead Neighbours moniker for good and rechristened themselves as Lowlife.

Dead Neighbours - Harmony In Hell (1984)

Track List:

A1
Crazy Wolfman
A2
Burning Up
A3
Island Of The Living Dead
A4
Crawlin' Viper
B1
I Can See
B2
The Room
B3
Once Bitten
B4
Sold Your Soul

Download


Dead Neighbours - Strangedays: Strangeways (1985)

This contains an early version of the great Lowlife track "Coward's Way".

Track List:

A1
Wreckage Of Your Mind (4:48)
A2
Turmoil (2:41)
A3
Terror Eyes (2:37)
A4
The Survivor (3:02)
B1
The Ultimate Goal (3:48)
B2
Beauty And The Beast (2:32)
B3
Tell Me Why (2:26)
B4
The Cowards Way (4:02)

Download


Dead Neighbours - Wild Women vs. Rubber Fish! (1985)
Big thanks to Earthcub/Sean for providing this rip and completing the discography!

Track List:

A1
Ghost Train (3:06)
A2
My Desire (2:10)
A3
The Room (3:06)
A4
Crazy Wolfman (2:35)
A5
Island Of The Living Dead (2:51)
A6
Crawlin' Viper (2:55)
B1
Devils Cry (2:24)
B2
Love Bites (1:26)
B3
Drive Me Insane (3:09)
B4
Too Young (3:32)
B5
Beauty And The Beast (2:32)
B6
Tell Me Why (2:26)
B7
Hells Own (4:03)

Download

22 comments:

Unknown said...

I actually have Wild Women vs. Rubber Fish.

Vanilla Face said...

Hello earthcub :)
Is there any way you could rip that record and share it? That'd be great. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, come on! I would love to hear that!

Unknown said...

Hey, I've done it. The quality should be good as I ran it thru my daw and did some eq and compression. Please download from here and provide on your web site.
http://rhythma.com/dl/Dead_Neighbors-Wild_Women_vs_Rubber_Fish.mp3

On another note, your site makes me wish I still had my record collection from the 80's. The DN stuff is part of probably 20 records that I just couldn't let go of. I had some really cool rare stuff that I miss SO much. Hundreds of records I sold for a measly $300. If I knew then what I know now...

Enjoy!
=sean
P.S. - Check out my own stuff at rhythma.com

Vanilla Face said...

Thanks a lot, Sean! I will split this into individual tracks and post it up :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sean, thank you very much!

Wesley Bohannon said...

Just stumbled across your site... Thanks for posting Dead Neighbours Strangedays: Strangeways!

Event Music said...

Cheers, been on a quest to convert my extensive 80's/90's collection from vinyl to mp3, and these DN selections get me a little further. I am now getting to the selections where when I Google the titles I just get hits to my own listing...

Anonymous said...

RIP Craig Lorentson, rest in peace

Anonymous said...

"The quality should be good as I ran it thru my daw and did some eq and compression."

obviously you know NOTHING about equalisation and compression...
it's awful, really.
painful to the ears.
next time, please, just rip the cd / cassette / vinyl / whatever it is and let it alone.
or let it be done by someone who actually knows what he's doing.

Daniel FR said...

I actually own "Wild Women vs Rubber Fish!" too and could upload an unraped rip. Is anyone still interested?

Vanilla Face said...

I'd appreciate that, Daniel. :)

Daniel FR said...

Here you are:

hXXp://www.mediafire.com/?zukgidi1kpbekht (83.3 MB)

Ripped from Vinyl, no equalization, no compression, just a few crackles removed. Including cover and labels. 320 kBit mp3. If you like, you can get the files as flac (that would be approx. 244 MB)

Cheers, Daniel

write a university essay said...

Remember buying the 1st 3 albums when they come out..instint appeal!!!

barbelith said...

Just found this blog - some excellent stuff - any chance of a re-up of the Dead Neighbours albums

Thanks

MIke Brandon said...

all the Dead Neighbors Sendspace links are dead.


I would lvoe to hear this. huge Lowlife fan.


if possible.


thanks for all the rest. truly.

Anonymous said...

Hi, someone can reload these 3 albums? are no longer active! and fans of Lowlife, I can not listen to them :(
I'd be grateful!

Anonymous said...

3 album reposted please.

Vanilla Face said...

All 3 now reposted

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

barbelith said...

Many thanks

Anonymous said...

Thank You!!!